WordPress Backend Maintenance
Websites aren’t once-off jobs. Well, technically they are, but they cannot actually be.
More often than not, clients make the mistake of assuming that the job is done once their website is up and running. In reality, websites – particularly those that make use of a CMS (like WordPress) – need careful monitoring to ensure their continued success and longevity. As the world of web development is in a permanent state of flux, any website needs inspections, support, and upgrades on an ongoing basis.
Well maintained websites make the right impression on your visitors and grow your SEO ranking – ultimately maximising ROI.
Eight Maintenance tasks of a WordPress website:
1. Software Updates: At a bare minimum, any live WordPress website will need to have its plugin-, theme- and WordPress core files updated relatively regularly to ensure that the intricate workings of the website are kept in order. Websites that are not updated regularly are a living, breathing nightmare, filled with growing file inconsistencies and potential code conflicts. Leaving a website alone without file package updates can cause an entire site to crash, resulting in a loss of content. We run weekly plugin-, theme – and WordPress SAFE updates (which automatically roles back if there are errors)
2. Off-server Backups: Website files and databases really should be backed up on a regular basis. In the event that something goes wrong, a back up of the website’s files and database can easily be reinstated. We run incremental scheduled backups of all files, images and databases on servers in the USA and South Africa.
3. Security Monitoring: You need a web application firewall that prevents your website from getting hacked by identifying malicious traffic, blocking attackers before they can access your website. If you, like many business owners, are of the opinion that your business website is unlikely to be affected by cybercrime, please think again. According to a Sophos Security Threat Report, on average 30,000 websites are hacked every day. Thus, adding site security measures is of great importance. We provide monthly web-based integrity monitoring and malware scanning of your website.
4. Google Analytics: We provide real-time Google Analytics integration with your website. It is important to note how much traffic is coming to your site. We do this by means of a monthly report where you can see first hand how your site is performing.
5. Human Checking: We aim to always provide a personal service. So even though most of this process is automated, we go through your website monthly and check that it functions the way it should and that it looks good!
6. Monthly Reports: We provide monthly care reports that will give you an indication of how your site is performing. We place special emphasis on your site speed and the overall performance of your site. These reports are a great indicator to gauge how your website is doing.
7. Website Speed: We do monthly performance checks to gauge your website speed as statistically speaking – site visitors will leave your website after 6 seconds if their attention has not been caught. The results of the performance test will be included in the report that gets sent out every month.
8. Broken Links: Broken links are not good for your website. Broken links can occur when websites change addresses, move domains etc. They also have a very negative effect on the SEO of your website and your site’s usability. We check weekly for broken links on your website and resolve them for you.
These things make up a core maintenance plan. It takes time to do this and commands a certain level of expertise.
Taking out a maintenance plan is a great way to ensure that your website remains up-to-date, secure and backed up in case something goes wrong.