Love and marriage, love and marriage.
Go together like a horse and carriage.
This I tell ya, brother, you can’t have one without the other.
Bet you were singing along to this well-known song (Love and Marriage) by ‘Old Blue Eyes’. Also bet he never knew his lyrics would be likened to the matrimony between websites and social media.
But that is exactly what the relationship between these two different digital strategy components can be likened to, and perhaps you can have one without the other, but it wouldn’t make a whole lot of business sense.
Have a look at this graphic, depicting all the possible components of a comprehensive digital strategy
(image credit: Acumen Studio)
Looks a lot like many relationship statuses: it’s complicated, right?
But notice how the WEBSITE is at the centre? That’s because your website can be likened to the cornerstone of your digital strategy – the one constant that every other digital marketing effort (e.g. SEO, PPC and social media) should be driven to.
So why is social media essential?
Sure, your website can ‘stay single’ and probably function fine on its own without social media, BUT (and it’s a big BUT), it will also mean that not many people will ever KNOW about it – and by this, we mean Google won’t notice or rank your website on its SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) either.
Whereas your website is the constant cornerstone, social media is ephemeral and can be likened to the romance that keeps the relationship between your customers and your website alive:
- it catches their attention where they are actively spending time (flirting);
- showcases your best features through for example, recommendations, trending news and special offers (romancing);
- allows for active dialogue (courting); and
- drives people to your website to get better acquainted with your offering – which will hopefully turn into an engaged customer, and later, a holy matrimony in the form of a loyal customer for life.
Kindling the romance: tips for a great web/social relationship
All of this is making you feel a bit lovestruck (aka confused)? Don’t despair!
Here are some practical ‘relationship tips’ for you to ensure your website and social media live together in perpetual holy matrimony:
- Add social media icons to your website: not only does this show you have social platforms, it also links to them, so website visitors have an easy way of finding and following your pages
- Likewise, add your website link to the about section/bio of your social media platforms
- Ensure that you regularly link to different pages on your website (such as the services, latest blogs or contact pages) in your social media posts
- If you are quite active on social media (for e.g., you post offers or post updates often), consider adding a live social media feed on your website
- Ensure that important sections of your website (like blog articles, upcoming events or your services) have social share buttons – so other people can share the love seamlessly onto their own social platforms (that’s basically free advertising)
Here are visual examples (because we know love can be blind):
Social Share Buttons in Blog
Social Media Feed on Website
Web Links on Social Media
I now pronounce you husband (web) and wife (social)
In summary: without a website – your social media efforts have nowhere to call ‘home’, and without social media, not many people will get to know you, or your offering (or land on your website quite as easily).
We conclude by ending off with the second part of the song:
Try, try, try to separate them
It’s an illusion
Try, try, try, and you will only come
to this conclusion
Love and marriage, love and marriage
They go together like a horse and carriage
Dad was told by mother
You can’t have one without the other
A match made in heaven: Pathfind Media
At Pathfind Media, we understand how to officiate the matrimony between your website and social media within a wider digital marketing strategy.
One core promise is to deliver excellently working websites that represent our clients’ brands well.
This means you can expect uncompromised personal service, that will come to you at a fair rate, faster than you think and with less hassle than you care to handle.
Contact us to chat about your unique vision.
We live in Durbanville, Cape Town. We work online. We have web designers & developers all over the world.